A kinaesthetic resource for multiplying and dividing by 10, 100 and 1000

1. chrisharrow says:

Great idea.
    From the set-up, I wonder if the activity is intended to be limited to multiplication & division by 10, 100, & 1000. Assuming so, I propose ending the activity with a few additional questions to small groups:
    1) How would you move if you multiplied by 100,000?
    2) How would you move if you divided by 0.1?
    3) How would you move if you multiplied by 10^0 ?
    4) How would you move if you multiplied or divided by any power of 10?

2. chrisharrow says:

Try this as an even more kinaesthetic approach.
    — Write a number with large digits on a board or with separate digits on different pieces of paper on the floor.
    — Have the student stand at the proper location of the decimal place. The student should hold chalk (or a marker) & an eraser if using a board, or additional pieces of paper with zeros on them if using paper on the floor.
    — A randomly chosen second student would choose a number (10, 100, 1000, (or further if you like)) and a random third pupil would choose to either multiply or divide by that number. The task of the “decimal” student would then be to physically move to the new location of the decimal, adding or removing zeros as necessary.

Many students definitely would benefit from actually moving about the classroom and brain research says the physical kinaesthetics would help many remember the manipulation rules better. Thanks for sharing your activity!

• Fantastic points there! Thank you!

• Madeleine Tarleton says:

Love this idea. I do something similar to build numbers and recognize place value.(Gr. 1 – 4) I give each student a large oaktag digit and tell them the starting place. If needed places can be labeled on the floor or the whiteboard/chalkboard behind them, I then have a classmate tell them a place to go. When a number is built students (human digits) tell their place and value. Whole class reads the number.

3. stephanie says:

its good it has helped my child now she knows how to divide properly am sooooooooo
    happy its great thank u

4. Sandra says:

After using the applet my students understood place value better and why digits move and decimals don’t and what happens to digits when they are multiplied or divided by powers of 10.

5. stella says:

thanks soo much it really helped

6. Khalid says:

An alternative to cutting out the digits can be to give each students an acetate which they place over the grid and move about instead. I have a powerpoint which animates this. If William could get in contact I can post it here, or I intend on posting it on TES soon.

7. michelle villicana says:

Isn’t it the other way around..?.multiplication moves to the right

8. michelle villicana says:

isn’t it the other way around

1. 20/07/2015